Watermelon Cake à la Jen’s Just Desserts (a lil’ Healthy/Paleo option)
Monday May 6 2013
I’m neither a “Paleo/caveman diet” follower, nor a health fanatic, but this was too good NOT to try
I wish I could take credit for this awesome idea, but it came from PALEO CUPBOARD – you can read their full recipe version on their site, via my Paleo-lovin’ baby sis, Jax. I hope to be able to give you a few more details on how I did this & some hopefully helpful images.
- 1 large seedless watermelon
- 3 cans full fat coconut milk (left in fridge for 6 hours or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup sliced almonds (toasted/browned in a skillet)
- Fresh fruits of your choice
The only things you really need to prepare ahead of time are the watermelon (so it can dry out a bit,) and the coconut cream. Paleo Cupboard‘s instructions are as follows/below, but please note that I used 3 cans of coconut milk, which produced enough of the cream to make the ‘whipped coconut cream.’ I also used vanilla bean seeds instead of extract.
TO MAKE THE COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
1. Make sure to place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours (or overnight). This will cause the cream to separate from the milk. The cream will be at the top of the can.
2. Open the can of coconut milk and scrape out the cream into a medium sized bowl. Hint: I always open the can from the bottom and pour the milk out into a separate container before scraping out the cream. You can use the saved milk for smoothies and other recipes.
3. Add the vanilla and raw honey to the mixture. Whip the cream with a hand mixer on medium speed and work your way up to high speed until the cream is fluffy. Place the bowl of whipped cream in the fridge until ready to use.